Saturday, December 19, 2009

LBPT:UCLA basketball hopes improvement follows it to South Bend

UCLA basketball hopes improvement follows it to South Bend
By Jon Gold Staff Writer
The Long Beach Press-Telegram
Posted: 12/18/2009 10:14:16 PM PST

Sometimes a five-game losing streak is more than a five-game losing streak.

Sometimes it's a wake-up call.

"It's been real hard," said freshman forward Tyler Honeycutt, whose UCLA squad plays Notre Dame today. "I didn't expect this at all when I came here. I knew we had a tough schedule, but I thought it'd be competitive, close games.

"It's kind of helped us actually, kind of set us in our place. Let us know we're not all that and still have room to improve."

Much room actually, but if Tuesday's 100-68 win over New Mexico State said anything it's the Bruins have the potential for success.

If only they can find the rim. UCLA went 37 of 66 (56 percent) from the field against the Aggies, including 19 of 31 in the first half, up from a season average of just 44 percent.

Their struggles were weighing on the Bruins, many of whom have not known anything but success.

"It was real tough, frustrating," sophomore guard Malcolm Lee said. "I don't think I ever lost five games in a row. It was really frustrating. At times you can catch yourself getting down on yourself. At the end of the day, you have to put it behind you. It kind of bothers you because we know we should be better."

After a 26-9 season that followed three consecutive Final Four appearances, it certainly would appear that way.

But with the loss of four starters - including NBA-bound Darren Collison and Jrue Holiday, who would have been just a sophomore - the Bruins have been depleted.

"It didn't hit the whole team until the last (loss)," said Honeycutt of the team's 72-54 loss to Mississippi State last Saturday. "They've never been in a position like this. It's new to them, too.

"In the beginning, we came off to a bad start, and right off the bat we put our heads down and it rubbed off on other people."

If anything, however, UCLA seems to be learning the bitter taste of defeat, something that might pay off later this year.

"Of course it wasn't what I expected, losing games," UCLA freshman forward Reeves Nelson said. "But I know that losing is part of the game and you have to get used to it.

"I'd rather take my lumps early than later in the season."

On a Roll

Senior forward Michael Roll continues to lead the Bruins in scoring, and his future prospects are settling in just as he'd hoped.

"For myself coming in, I've always known basketball would be my career," said Roll, who averages 14 points per game. "I've been playing behind really good people here.

"Look at all the NBA draft picks we've had. Now is my time, and I'm taking advantage."

No comments: