Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Arron Afflalo ready to tear up the NBA



PHOENIX - OCTOBER 22: Arron Afflalo #6 of the Denver Nuggets drives the ball against Robin Lopez #15 of the Phoenix Suns during the preseason NBA game at US Airways Center on October 22, 2010 in Phoenix, Arizona.(Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

Another former Bruin who is poised to tear it up on the NBA hardwood this season is AA a.k.a. Arron Afflalo (AA2 being Alfred Aboya). I swear, the times I've seen either Arron's first or last name mispelled in the media. Anyhow, Arron is simply dominating Nugget play as of late. Check out the stats (thanks, nba.com), a number of 20-plus points nights with "not to sneeze at" assist and rebound numbers this pre-season. And check out the love from the media... although, some of these are from the fantasy league media?!? Talk about being a sleeper. Seriously though, how come the regular media can't sing praises about Arron's recent endeavors?

(AND ANOTHER) ALSO, how come there aren't any video highlights on AA? Anyway, I found this video of AA on D blocking both Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant in a matter of seconds last season. Video c/o DenverNuggetVideos on You Tube.


Good luck this season, Arron. Keep up the great work!


Afflalo is talk of the Nuggets

Confident guard armed with a scorer's mentality

By Chris Dempsey
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/27/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Arron Afflalo is a softspoken guy, the kind of person who goes about his work and lets his actions speak for him.

And this season, those actions might speak more loudly than ever for the Nuggets' fourth-year shooting guard.

Afflalo, who says he has never been more comfortable going into an NBA season than he is now, is being asked to increase his production on the offensive end. If the preseason is any indication of what is on the horizon, he's more than up to that task. He's been a find from a scoring standpoint, ending the preseason with the second-most points of any player in the NBA (163). He averaged 20.4 points per game and nearly netted a triple-double in the Nuggets' exhibition finale against the Phoenix Suns.

So the natural question is: How much of that will be seen when the games count, starting tonight against the Utah Jazz?

"I don't know," Afflalo said, smiling. "We'll find out (tonight). I'm very confident in my skills. I've been working really, really hard. And for me, it's just a natural progression trying to get better. Each year I get more confidence and a little more comfortable. I have high expectations for myself."

When the Nuggets traded for Afflalo last year, it was with defense in mind. Yet offense is in Afflalo's roots. As a junior at UCLA — his last season there — he led the Bruins in scoring with 16.9 points per game on a team that averaged just 70.9. So he scored about 24 percent of the Bruins' points.

Can Afflalo hit that scoring average in the NBA?

"Yeah, without question," he said. "I say that at the same time with respect to my teammates. You have to know your personnel. I, for one, have always been about winning and doing what the team asks me. But by no means does that mean I can't get 20 points a night. I definitely have that ability to do it."

Nuggets coach George Karl noted that part of the preseason agenda was to get Afflalo, along with point guard Ty Lawson, more into the scoring mix.

"I think that everybody sees we're trying to tilt the game a bit towards Arron and Ty," Karl said.

Last season, Afflalo averaged career highs in points, rebounds, assists, blocks, minutes, field-goal percentage and 3-point percentage.

Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony says part of Afflalo's dedication to getting better during the offseason stemmed from Denver's six-game series loss to Utah in the playoffs.

"Besides me, and this isn't to take nothing away from the other guys on the team, but Arron really took that series personal," Anthony said. "I saw him in the offseason, that's all he's been talking about, that series, getting better. He's been focused. The only thing I keep telling him is even when everybody gets back, please continue to do what you're doing."

_______

Arron Afflalo: "I'm ready."
By: Eric Pincus Last Updated: 10/17/10 10:32 PM ET
Hoops World


With all the drama surrounding the Carmelo Anthony saga, the Denver Nuggets have done their best to focus on the upcoming season.

One bright spot has been the development of guard Arron Afflalo.

The Nuggets acquired him in July of 2009 and in his first year with the team, Afflalo averaged 8.8 points a game on 46.5% shooting including 43.4% behind the arc.

Although preseason stats can be somewhat misleading, through three exhibition games, Arron has averaged 21.7 points a game while shooting 54.8% from the field and 52.9% from the arc.

Coach George Karl had nothing but praise for Afflalo after his 27-point night against the Los Angeles Clippers on Thursday in a 100-95 Denver victory.

"I joked with him all summer, 'You better ready man because I'm going to have to play you.' He's worked as hard as anybody I've ever coached in the summertime, working on his game and on his shot," said Karl. "I don't think people in the league think he's a top three-point shooter but we think he is. We think he's going to shoot over 40% the rest of his career."

At 6'5", 215 pounds, Arron was originally drafted out of UCLA by the Detroit Pistons. His reputation was that of a top-notch perimeter defender but the Pistons dealt him to the Nuggets in a cap space move.

Afflalo talked about his efforts over the summer.

"Over the offseason, I tried to work hard and get better," said Arron. "I've always done that. It just took some years for my maturity, my confidence and everything. The more comfortable I feel on the court, the more confident I am. I really took a huge leap this summer. I've always worked on my game."

Given the attention All-Stars like Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups receive, Afflalo knows he'll get plenty of open looks. He's dedicated to making teams pay for their inattention.

"I've got such great players around me, I'm constantly open all the time," said the guard. "I put the work in so it's just about having confidence to go out on the court and do it."

When the Nuggets acquired Afflalo, one NBA executive privately discounted the impact Arron would make given his a lack of athleticism and offensive game.

That's something Afflalo has heard his entire career. He laughed when confronted with the executive's comments.

"Of course. Of course. [I hear that] all the time but I just look at the history of my life; the history of how I've progressed as a player. High school I started at the bottom, I finished as a McDonald's All-American," said Afflalo. "College I came in, even as a McDonald's All-American, started at the bottom finished first-team and my team made the final four. I had expected no different coming to the NBA. I encourage myself. I kept confidence within to keep working throughout the years and it's going to show. It's going to show and that'll be behind me."

He may have come into the league primarily as a defender, but not only does he aspire for more - he's willing to put the work to evolve.

"Honestly it's not all that I am," said Afflalo. "I take pride in being a complete basketball player. So with that in mind, if I have to come into the NBA and be a defender, then that's what I'll do to start and keep getting better. It's not the definition of what I am from the beginning."

The Nuggets hope they have a Bruce Bowen on the roster, a lethal spot-up shooter and top-notch defender. Bruce came into the league with an even shakier jump shot than Afflalo but gradually became a vital part of the championship-era San Antonio Spurs.

One advantage Arron has over Bowen is at the line. Afflalo is a 77.3% career free throw shooter.

Karl looks forward to Afflalo taking a big role this coming season, especially with players like Kenyon Martin and Chris Andersen expected to be sidelined with injury to start the season.

"He's getting a feel for other parts of the game, other aspects of the game plus I think he's an all-defensive defender," said the Denver coach. "Now we need to make him a basketball player, making better decisions and stuff like that but that will happen too."

Afflalo will be a restricted free agent after this season. He may be a player the Nuggets choose to invest in.

"It's my fourth year right now, so I think I'm ready," said Afflalo.
________

Afflalo turning it on, 27 points vs. Clippers
Arron Afflalo - G - Denver Nuggets
Oct. 15, 2010 - 2:50 AM ET
NBC Sports

Arron Afflalo followed up his 18 and 20-point performances to start the preseason with 27 points on Thursday, hitting 8-of-18 shots from the field with four 3-pointers, nine rebounds, two assists, a steal, and two blocks in 37 minutes.

Chauncey Billups (rest) and Al Harrington (torn fascia) did not play so there were a few more touches to go around, but make no mistake this was a statement game from Alf. Don't go crazy moving him up your draft board, but making him a last-round pick could work depending on your format.
________

Arron Afflalo: Afflalo continues preseason scoring tear
Arron Afflalo - G - DEN - Oct. 18 - 12:41 am et
rotoworld.com

Arron Afflalo continued his preseason scoring tear on Sunday, posting 18 points, four rebounds, four assists and two steals in 41 minutes. He connected on four of his 11 shot attempts, all of which came from three-point range.

Heading into Sunday, the top five preseason scorers were, respectively, Carmelo Anthony (24.3), Amare Stoudemire (24.3), Afflalo (21.2), Brook Lopez (20.5) and Monta Ellis (18.2). Preseason overachievers make for interesting blurbs; just don't expect a career 5.9 point-per-game scorer to suddenly turn himself into a 20-plus point-per-game scorer. Oct. 18 - 12:41 am et
________

Arron Afflalo: Afflalo playing, J.R. Smith not
Arron Afflalo - G - DEN - Oct. 22 - 2:13 am et
rotoworld.com

Arron Afflalo saw 37 minutes to J.R. Smith's 12 minutes on Thursday, and finished with 14 points on 4-of-11 shooting (including a three) with three rebounds, one assist, one steal, and one block.

Sure it's preseason but lost in all the shuffle about Afflalo's big preseason is the impact it would have on Smith. Afflalo is doing all the same things that J.R. Smith does, albeit less spectacularly at times, but without the constant headaches.

________

Arron Afflalo: Nearly a Triple-Double
10/23/2010 9:16:06 AM
ROTOWIRE.COM

Update:
Afflalo posted 24 points, 10 assists, and nine rebounds during Denver's final preseason game in Phoenix on Friday night.

Recommendation:
Afflalo and Ty Lawson were both asked to step up their games this year by head coach George Karl and it's so far so good as both have had, in Karl's opinion, the best preseasons on the team. Afflalo seems right on the verge of finally becoming a legit offensive threat which could put him into the "fringe fantasy prospect" category in some of the deeper leagues.

No comments: