Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Howland 'miffed' at Adams all-conference snub


Howland 'miffed' at Adams all-conference snub

March, 12, 2013
MAR 12
5:46
PM PT
Money.


LOS ANGELES -- Add UCLA Bruins coach Ben Howland's voice to the growing faction saying that Bruins guard Jordan Adams was snubbed in voting for All-Pac 12 Conference honors.

The results of the voting by conference coaches were released Monday and Adams, one of the premier scorers in the league, received only honorable mention all-freshman team and did not make the all conference list.

"I was really disappointed, miffed, stunned that Jordan Adams wasn't on the all-freshman team," Howland said. "I couldn't believe it. I felt hurt, sad, stunned, miffed."

Adams was eighth in the conference in scoring with 15.2 points per game, led the conference with 67 steals and was fourth with an 83.8 free-throw percentage. TeammatesShabazz Muhammad and Kyle Anderson made the all-freshman team along with Jahii Carson of Arizona State, Damyean Dotson of Oregon and Josh Scott of Colorado.

"I had no control over that," Adams said. “I expected too, but it's whatever. It'll fuel me, but I'm not mad about it."

Arizona coach Sean Miller also expressed disbelief that Adams was left off the all-freshman team. He told the Tucson Citizen that Adams deserved all-conference, not just all-freshman.

"I cannot believe Jordan Adams did not make the all-freshman team," Miller said. "I had him as a first-team all-conference player. To me, he's one of the very, very best players at his position in the country. On defense, he's incredible. The fact that he wasn't on the all-defensive team is also astonishing to me."

Snubs in all-conference voting are nothing new. Howland reminded his team Tuesday thatRussell Westbrook was voted to the third team a few months before being selected No. 4 in the 2008 NBA draft.

Howland said one of the big issues is that coaches submit their ballots before the season is over. He said he had no problem with Muhammad sharing the freshman of the year award with Carson, but was displeased at the omission of Adams.

"Some people are already putting in their ballots before the conference is even completed, which I don't relate to," Howland said. "That being said, I thought that was really an injustice."

No comments: